Wednesday 1 April 2015

A New Beginning...

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Sorry, I just had to do that!

Well, it's done. I am now out on my own with my Little One! And it's been incredible. I can't believe it's only been two months since the move

I've just embarked on an Ideas Adventure with Marianne Cantwell (www.freerangehumans.com) and Selina Barker (www.selinabarker.com). I've also taken the www.16personalities.com personality test (I'm an ENFP in case you're wondering), and just read "A Technique for Producing Ideas", "Love Sick" and "Daring Greatly". As you can tell, I am on a "Know Thyself" trip. But what I really, really wanted to share with you was this: my dream, head-in-the-clouds, totally out there dream life. It was part of an exercise on the Ideas Adventure course, and I love it so much, I felt that I needed to let it out and set it free... So here it is:

What is your life like and why is it so wonderful?

I’ll wake up in the morning, do some home school stuff with my daughter, send her off to a Self-Learning School. While she’s there, I’ll meet with my co-conspirators - our mailbox would be full of requests for projects. We’ll look through them and pick the ones we want to work on. Then we’ll look at the status of the ones we are currently working at, resolve any issues together, then go off and do our bits. Throughout the day we’ll talk about our various tasks/help each other out, at the same time throwing out ideas for the new stuff coming in on the Ideas Board, including ideas for projects we’d like to do that have no end client. We’ll have frequent breaks - there are no official lunch break. People are free to have a siesta if they wish, start late, start early, stay the night if they want. At the end of the day or the point when most people want to go home, we’ll have one last catch up on stuff and go. I’ll pick up my daughter, we’ll have dinner together, tell each other about the brilliant stuff we did that day, tell stories and go to bed, looking forward to tomorrow.

Describe what you are wearing and how you look
Relaxed, wearing whatever I felt like that day.

Where are you? What is your home like?
An office with creative spaces for thinking, putting up inspirational pics/quotes. Comfy sofas/armchairs for working at. A games area for letting off steam, a quiet corner for snoozing or concentration. Each person has their own desk and computer, a space they can customise. There is no dress code or “professional” behaviour code. There is a well-stocked fridge and small cooking area. If you want an alcoholic beverage, tis not a problem. The office is flooded with natural light. There is a rooftop area for “blue sky thinking”. The office is in a tall building somewhere near a park with a pond & wildlife, shops/pubs/eateries are just a minute away on foot. There is a “feel-good” wall - where we put up pics, notes, letters from happy clients, successful events.

My home has a creative space for getting messy, an admin space, a small library, a small kitchen with enough space to roll dough out in. We have an small lawn/garden that my daughter can run up and down in. We each have our own bedrooms with beds big enough for both of us to sleep in. A gardener and cleaner help to keep the place from going to ruin!

We share the house with another mother & child/children - possibly one other single mother with young children. Our home is full of love, laughter and creativity. The walls are covered with our own art, the furniture is eclectic. Everything is secondhand. We always have visitors - friends dropping in, lovers popping in, temporary housemates that shake up the dynamic, introduce new ideas, so we have a healthy mental state.

Who are you with?
People who are also my friends. I don’t think I’ve met them yet! I’d like for R and D to work with me. And SP, and PC, and AM, and C&JW, and... and... wait! I *have* met some them already.

Describe your lifestyle? (Where do you live? What do you enjoy?)
We live in a city, but not a metropolis. Cambridge is pretty good. Or Toronoto.
We enjoy meals out, art galleries, the theatre, quirky cinemas. We travel outside the city often to see friends and family. We enjoy cooking meals for friends and housemates, have many gatherings at ours. Lots of talking and sharing. I enjoy different lovers! Oh, and time to read. An inexhaustible supply of books - we live near a library!

What are your days like? Do they differ throughout the year? 
Filled with interesting conversation, discoveries, learning. No.

Describe what you are doing with your time 
Generating ideas for TV shows, producing some, throwing parties, writing and directing short pieces, mainly promotional stuff. Doing some voice acting, designing small graphic pieces, definitely art directing bigger stuff, like brand creation.
What is the best thing that has happened to you this (fantasy) year? 
An Oscar for SOMETHING - maybe opening titles! Winning an BAFTA for best new series.

From the place of this fantasy life, what advice would you give the real you?

Don’t give up on the dream! 

No comments:

Post a Comment